Penn Soccer 11 Beats Dartmouth, Takes Ivy Lead

By Robert W. Gerlach

Penn's soccer team, which upset defending champion Brown last week, moved into sole possession of first place in the Ivy standings with a 4-1 victory over Dartmouth on Saturday.

Following right on the heels of the Quakers in the race for the Ivy League title, Harvard and Cornell both won their league openers last weekend.

Prudential

Dartmouth held a slim 1-0 lead over Penn after a goal by Gary Gaspar, but Penn's Tom Lieberman tied the game before the half. The Quakers won the game in the third period on a tally by Dave King and added insurance goals in the fourth period.

At Itheca. Nick Alexandridis, the league scoring champion for the past two years, put on a one-man show for Cornell fans. He scored three times and assisted on the final goal of the game with eight minutes to play as the Big Red edged Princeton, 4-3

Down One

Already down one game to Penn. Brown started back on the road to its throne with a 3-2 victory over a strong Yale team. George Thompson and Brooks Morin tallied within four minutes in the second period to stake the Bruins to an early 3-1 lead that stood up to the Yale rally.

While Penn faces competition outside of the league this weekend. Harvard will battle Cornell for a share of the Ivy lead. In other games. Brown will try to continue its comeback against Dartmouth, while Yale and Columbia meet in an attempt to regain the winning habit.