Rugby Units Face Cornell

By John L. Powers

Buoyed by a 31-0 trouncing of Wesleyan last Saturday, when the Crimson finally got its backfield together and moving, Harvard's rebounding rugby team will at tempt to even its season's record this afternoon when it visits tough Cornell at Ithaca.

The Big Red shut out the Crimson last fall, 11-0, employing a brutal scrum and a backfield of equal ferocity. Ferocity might have been effective three weeks ago against Harvard, when the squad was in poor shape and badly disorganized, but it should not be today.

The Wesleyan match showed that Harvard has put it all together, and that the Crimson won't be easily thrown off its game. But Cornell is formidable and can back up its brutishness with a fairly solid technique and a measure of precision in the backfield.

"It will be a tough match." said scrum-half Phil Ordway. "We've always had respect for their conditioning. We also like their drinking ability."

The Social Side

The Big Red is renowned for its habit of taking over local taverns to throw rugby parties on the evenings after matches. The Harvard match, evidently, is no exception.