Football Team Upset; Booters Win Another Varsity Soccer Squad Smashes Cornell, 5-0

By Martin R. Garay

The varsity soccer team stretched its shutout streak to 22 periods Saturday as it blanked Cornell 15-0, at Ithaca. The Crimson remained the only Ivy team yet to be scored on.

Goalie Bill Meyers broke the 21-year-old shutout record of four games held by Loring Bacheler. Mevers was assisted by the offensive line which kept almost continuous pressure on the rookie Cornell goalie.

"I was quite pleased with the victory. It was a complete team effort for the first time this year," Coach Bruce Munro said last night.

Juniors Pete Bogovich and Solomon Gomez each scored two goals, while sophomore Phil Kydes knocked in the fifth tally.

The Crimson started out slowly. It spent the first period getting adjusted to the dusty Cornell field and the strong wind. The passing was somewhat spotty, but it started to jell near the end of the first period.

A minute and a half into the second period the Crimson scored its first goal. Bogovich controlled the ball until he saw Gomez, who had freed himself in front of the net. Solomon took the short pass from Bogovich and put it past the goalie to make it 1-0.

Talk Prevents Tackle

Harvard kept up the talk on the field although it had not in some earlier games and thus prevented any unnecessary tackling. The passing game improved and the Crimson kept control of the ball as it had done against B.U. two weeks ago.

Later in the second period. Bogovich knocked in a penalty shot to give Harvard a 2-0 lead. It was the second penalty goal of the season and Bogovich has knocked in both.

Cornell's Nick Alexandridis the Ivy League's leading scorer for the last two seasons was stifled by the Harvard defense. Much of the credit goes to junior John Gordon, who prevented Alexandridis from even getting off a threatening shot.

Gomez came back to score his second goal midway through the third period. He took a pass from Kydes and maneuvered his way through several Big Red defenders, finding himself alone with the Cornell goalie. He lifted the shot over the goalie's shoulder for the third tally.

'A Hell of a Defense'

Meyers had only twelve balls shot in his direction. while most of the other shots were deflected by the outstanding Crimson fullbacks. Bill Brock Bob Grey. Gordon and Phil Axten. "Meyers is a hell of a goalie, but he also has a hell of a defense in front of him." Coach Munro said of the underrated Crimson defense.

Phil Kydes knocked in the fourth goal assisted by Bogovich. He trapped a throw in from Bogovich and kicked it over the goalie.

Bogovich came back with his second goal in the last period. Assisted by Gomez.