Ruggers Explode in Second Half, Massacre Big Red 32-6 at Ithaca

By John L. Powers

Playing with exceptional coordination against strong opposition for the first time this fall. Harvard's surging rugby team trounced Cornell, 32-6, Saturday morning at Ithaca.

The Crimson capitalized on a penalty kick by All-American fullback Joe Daly and a try by sophomore wing three-quarter Verdi DiSesa to forge ahead at halftime, 8-3. Then, Harvard exploded.

"It was an incredible match," said scrum-half Phil Ordway. "The coordination between backs and forwards was the best we've had all fall, and our second efforts on runs seemed to be working overtime. Cornell was a good squad, and they play a rough hard-hitting game, but it just wasn't a question of fitness. We were just playing a better brand of rugby."

Harvard's outside running talent made use of the unusually wide field, and good forward coverage seemed to shackle Cornell rushes before they could develop into a threat. DiSesa added another try in the second half on an 83-yard breakaway, and the Crimson began to pour it on.

Hal Clark scored a pair of tries during the onslaught. Daly accounted for another, and backs Mario Small and Bucky Hayes each added one to put the game entirely out of the Big Red's reach.

Looking Forward

"It was a valiant effort on our part." Clark said solemnly after the match. "We were rebounding from a tough Friday night at a local campus tavern, and we were looking forward to a free keg of beer that the proprietor had promised us for breaking up a brawl in the back room."

Lock Ralph Harder, wing forward Dick Barrett and second-row Ted Langford sparked the forward's performance, breaking through on several occasions to obtain possession in the loose scrum, and paving the way for the elusive Crimson backs.

The victory, Harvard's second straight evens the Crimson's record at 2-2, and establishes a showdown between tough Dartmouth next Saturday at Cambridge.

"We didn't really know what to expect at Ithaca," said Ordway, "and we're really encouraged."