Undefeated Soccer Team Tied for First With Penn

By Robert W. Gerlach

Unscored upon in its two Ivy contests. Harvard's varsity soccer team moved into a first place tie with Penn for the League title last Saturday, by walloping Cornell 5-0 at Ithaca.

In other Ivy league action, Brown continued its comeback with a 4-1 victory over Dartmouth while Yale and Columbia battled to a 2-2 deadlock. Undefeated Penn had a bye over the weekend.

Crimson goalie Bill Meyers is now the only unscored-upon netman in Ivy competition. Meyers made 14 saves against the Big Red and extended his scoreless period streak to 22 consecutive quarters.

Solomon Gomes and Pete Bogovich moved close to the top of the Ivy scoring statisties after the offense's rout of Cornell. Gomez and Bogovich both scored twice and added an assist against the Big Red. Their two game totals of four points apiece place them third in the Ivy standings.

Perennial soccer champion Brown remained within one game of the Crimson and the Quakers with an easy 4-1 victory over Dartmouth. The Bruins lost their opener to Penn last season but came back to win the league title with six straight victories. This year Brown has followed the same pattern.

Against the Indians, sophomore Brookes Morin scored three times and George King added three assists to lead the Bruins. Morin now leads the league with four goals and six points in three games, while King's four assists heads the standings in that category.

Columbia jumped to an early two gaol lead against Yale in the first period, with Frank Kodah and Omar Chamma contributing the Lion tallies. After a third period goal by Yale's Steve Abrecht, the Elis tied the game on a score by Sab Quao with 13:31 remaining in the final quarter. Neither team could claim the victory in an overtime session.

The upcoming weekend matches the strongest teams against the weakest. Penn, with victories over Brown and Dartmouth, faces winless Princeton, while undefeated Harvard meets last place Dartmouth in Cambridge, Yale hosts Cornell in a batle for the first division, and Brown gets to sit back and hope one of the leaders makes a mistake.