Winthrop Grid Squad Bombs Eliot With Last-Minute Aerial Barrage

Both Winthrop House and Kirkland House scored come-from-behind victories in intramural touch football action yesterday.

Winthrop's Fritz Hobbs threw two touchdown passes to Eddie Gallagher at the end of the fourth quarter to defeat Eliot, 32-25. Winthrop (3-1) and Eliot (1-2) each scored twice in the first half. Winthrop's touchdowns came on a 40-yard run by Pat Hindert and a pass from Hobbs to Pet Cairo. In the second half, Hobbs threw his second touchdown pass to Nick Sullivan. Eliot scored twice and led 25-19 going into the final stages of the fourth quarter, but Hobbs tied it up with a touchdown pass to Gallagher and gave Winthrop the lead, 26-25, by throwing for the extra point. Hobbs and Gallagher combined for another touchdown on the final play to insure the victory.

In another intramural thriller, Kirkland edged Dunster 32-30, scoring the winning touchdown in the closing seconds, while Dunster's quarterback came within inches of completing a long bomb on the last play. Leading the scoring for Dunster were Noel Hare and Xils Daulaire with two touchdowns each.

In soccer action, Adams House topped Dunster, 2-1, in a game marred by a strong cross wind. Walt Tomford opened the scoring for Adams, taking a long pass in front of the goal and kicking it through. Mark Silk added the second goal, kicking the ball off the cross bar and then driving the loose ball into the goal. Joel Poholsky scored Dunster's lone goal on a long, wind-blown shot.

Meanwhile, the Eliot House soccer team extended its winning streak to three games, romping over Leverett House, 7-0.

In freshman intramural football. Holworthy leads the American League with a 4-0 mark, while Matthews South (5-0) is dominating the National League.