Crimson Defense Faces Big Test; Chasey Has Proved He Can Pass

By Bennett H. Beach

Dartmouth's football team comes to the Stadium Saturday with an offense which ranks first nationally in rushing yardage this year. But Harvard also must worry about a potent passing attack.

Jim Chasey a junior, directs the Dartmouth attack. Last year, when he shared quarterbacking duties with Bill Koenig, he was known as a good runner. but not a particularly notable passer. Koenig could throw farther and harder, and Koenig was considered a better signal caller.

This Fall in a pre-season scrimmage against Boston College. Chasey completed 11 of 12 passes. He was given more chance to play in the scrimmage than expected because Koenig had an injured thumb. Chasey kept playing well, and became the number one quarterback, even after Koenig recovered, and has now completed over 60 per cent of his passes.

Instead of having another respectable quarterback. Dartmouth now has an excellent one who can both run and throw. Chasey has also shown an ability to scramble, so Harvard's defensive backs must cover Indian receivers longer than usual "We've got to be ready for anything," said Crimson coach Loyal Park yesterday.

Park expects Dartmouth to pass more Saturday than it has so far. In its first four gains, the Big Green has not had to worry about using a balanced attack: its opponents never stopped the Dartmouth ground game. But Harvard, with Gary Farnetl back in the lineup, may force Chasey to start throwing more often.

Pass Coverage Changes

"We're going to change our coverage a little bit for Dartmonth." Park said. "We'll be rushing, using double coverage, and changing back and forth from zone to man-to-man. We'll try to outguess Chasey." he added.

The personnel in the Crimson defensive backfield will be somewhat different. Fred Martucei, who started at left safety the first two games before developing bursitis in one of his knees, will probably be ready to play Saturday. Park said that if he is healthy, Martucci will rotate with Walter Johnson and Neil Hurley at the two safety positions.

Fenton to Start

Brad Fenton will start at right corner-back instead of sophomore Dave Ignacio. Fenton, who was expected to see a lot of action this Fall, pulled a thigh muscle before the season started and has not had much chance to play. "This is not a demotion for Ignacio. Brad's been constantly improving, and we thought he should have a chance to start a game," Park explained.