JV Booters Wrestle Brown to 2-2 Tie; Freshmen Outlast Exeter in Storm, 4-0

Harvard's JV soccer team fought the Brown JV's to a grueling 2-2 tie at Providence yesterday afternoon in a game that was dominated by a gale-force wind more than any one team.

After a scoreless first half. senior Gene Warner gave Harvard a narrow 1-0 lead in the third period on a 15-yard power shot. Brown surprised the Crimson minutes later with a fast break and goal against the wind, evening the score at 1-1.

Going with the wind. Brown took a commanding 2-1 lead five minutes deep into the final quarter. With only seven minutes remaining. Ben Phinney came through with the tying tally for Harvard, after taking a pass from Warner in front of the goal.

Phinney fired another power shot at the Brown goal with three seconds left in regulation play. but Brown's goalie made a diving save to preserve the tie. Two five-minute overtime periods proved frustrating for both sides as each had sure goals hit the crossbar.

Despite the tie. Harvard coach Seamus Malin was not discouraged. "A lesser team would have thrown up their hands today. I was really pleased by the way our guys refused to quit in the fourth quarter." he said.

Yardlings Topple Exeter

"We missed a lot of goals." freshman Yardlings beat Exeter, 4-0 in a driving snow storm at Exeter yesterday afternoon.

A slick field and 30-degree temperatures hampered the Crimson attack. While dominating play, the Yardlings could any manage a 1-0 halftime lead and a slim 2-0 advantage going into the final quarter.

Exeter's goal keeper was outstanding as he turned back a steady barrage of Harvard shots. Center-forward Chris Papagianis scored the Yardlings' only first-half goal midway through the first period.

Pauli Jarvenpaa tallied in the third quarter for the Crimson and Papagianis and Mossavar-Rahmani added goals in the final stanza. The Yardlings' four-goal output was their lowest of the season.