Colburn Sets Course Mark

Running the new Dartmouth cross-country course for the first time yesterday, the Harvard harriers coasted to a 17-44 victory over the Big Green, with three runners finishing ahead of the best previous time for the 5.5-mile course.

Formerly undefeated Dartmouth could not keep up with a Crimson pace which produced six of the top seven places, Captain Keith Colburn, winning his first varsity cross-country race, lowered the course record by more than a minute with a time of 28:47.2. Sophomore Mike Koerner finished within eight seconds of Colburn, and Tom Spengler, who won last week's race at Cornell, came in third.

He's Not So Great

Dartmouth's top runner, Eric Potter, took fourth, just one second ahead of Harvard's John Heyburn, who put on a great stretch push that almost caught Potter, Howie Foye, running his best race of the year, finished sixth, and Royce Shaw came in seventh.

The Crimson victory was assured at the one-mile mark, Colburn and Koerner, who ran together for most of the race, made their move on Potter after two miles.

"It was a beautiful course, even though the snow made it a little slippery," Colburn said. "We didn't start out fast because we weren't sure of the course, and we wanted to stay close to Potter because we figured he knew the way."

The Crimson have two races next week-the Greater Bostons at Franklin Park on Tuesday and the Big Three meet at Yale on Friday.

Freshmen Win Again

Harvard's undefeated freshman team won easily over Dartmouth's freshmen yesterday, 18-42, with John Quirk winning his seventh consecutive race for the Yardlings.

George Barker ran his best race of the year, and led until the last 100 yards of the 3.3-mile course, when Quirk burst past him in a sprinting finish. Dartmouth's Tom Shiland came in third, even though three Harvard runners-Marshall Jones, Mark Connolly, and Tom New-made strong final rushes and almost caught him. The time interval between Quirk and New was only 24 seconds.