Society Induces Unrest-Galbraith

John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics, Thursday blamed "bureaucratic and fraudulent" society as the cause of campus disorders.

Speaking to a gathering of Brandeis honorary degree candidates in New York, Galbraith said that "the individualist ethic taught at universities. is marvelously in conflict" with a world that is "heavily and increasingly bureaucratic."

"In light of these conflicts between education and the world, it would be surprising indeed if our educational institutions were peaceful." Galbraith said. "The remedy which appeals to many people is to make the universities more amenable to bureaucratic power, intellectual fraud, old-fashioned nationalism, and a decent willingness to get killed at the public command."

The public bureaucracy provides classic examples of fraud. Galbraith said, "You need only reflect on what you have been asked to believe in this past year about the ABM [or] the honesty of the Thieu government in Vietnam." he said.

Other speakers at the gathering included Leonard Bernstein 39, former conductor of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra; R Sargent Shriver, U.S. Ambassador to France; and Morris B. Abram, president of Brandeis University.