Charles Regatta Draws Top Oarsmen; Harvard Captures Three Major Races

Harvard oarsmen entered eight of the thirteen events in the fifth annual Head-of-the Charles Regatta yesterday afternoon, and won the three major team races.

In the senior-fours-with-coxswain race, a Harvard team composed of two pairs of brothers, the Hobbses and the Livingstons, and coaxed by Tom Tiffany, finished the 2.3-mile course just two seconds sooner than Brown's "A" entry.

Brown disputed the outcome, complaining that the 2.2-second difference between its time and Harvard's was the result of a wake, left by a race-marshall's launch, that slowed them down. The Chairman of the Begatta Rowing Committee. Dr. Howard D. Mac??tyre, Jr., said he doubted that Brown's complaint would make a difference in the results.

Harward's lightweight-eight crew stroked by Dave Harman, captain of the Crimson's lightweights, won their event, finishing the long upstream course ??? seconds sooner than Yale's team and well before M. I. T.'s lightweights.

In the last race of the day, Harvard's heavyweights captured the senior-eights event with a time of 11:55.6, just 2 seconds faster than the crew from the Syracuse Alumni Rowing Association.

Chuck Hamlin, an Olympic athlete last year, placed second for Harvard in the novice-single-sculling event behind Phil Raymond from the U. S. Naval Academy. The only female rower in the Regatta. Gail Pierson, assistant professor of Economics, entered this race.

The total number of points that each team gets is computed according to a complicated system which takes into account the number of oarsmen who compete from each team in each event and the positions in which the teams' shells finish.

Until yesterday's results are officially confirmed the total points for each team can not be computed. Consequently, the winner of this year's Regatta will not be announced until Tuesday. Harvard won the total point trophy in 1968.

More than 75 oarsmen entered the competition, ?? of them from Harvard. The race itself is modeled after an English style of racing. Because most English rivers (and the Charles) are too narrow for all the entrants in each event to begin at the same time, the rowers start at ten-second intervals and race against the clock.