Quakers Come From Behind to Defeat Princeton And Remain Tied With Unbeaten Crimson Booters

Undefeated Penn came from behind late in the game last Saturday to edge Princeton 2-1 and remain tied with Harvard for the lead in the Ivy League soccer race. While the Crimson blanked Dartmouth 4-0 for its third straight Ivy shutout. Yale and Cornell battled to a scoreless tie in New Haven.

Identical Records

Penn and Harvard both have 7-0 records for the season and will clash this Saturday at Franklin Field in a match that should determine the Ivy title. According to this week's national collegiate soccer ratings, Harvard is ranked third in the nation while the same poll picked the Quakers as the country's fourth-best squad.

Princeton fought Penn to a scoreless tie at half-time last weekend and then jumped to a quick 1-0 lead on a goal by Bonaventure Mbida early in the third period. With most of the play in the Tiger half of the field, Penn's Israeli star Tom Lieberman evened the match in the same period.

With 4:31 gone in the final session, Bruno Vogt fired a spectacular centering pass in front of the Tiger net and smashed the ball home before it even touched the ground.

All-Ivy goalie Steve Greenberg returned to the nets for Yale last week. He had been sidelined for a month with a broken thumb. Against Cornell, Greenberg made 13 saves to preserve the tie. Both teams took 18 shots at their opponent's goal but could not break the deadlock.

Harvard players lead the Ivy League's standings in defense and offense. Goalie Bill Meyers, who has shut out the last six Crimson opponents and now has a scoreless streak of 26 periods, is the only Ivy goalie unscored upon in three games. His closest rival is Penn's Dan Biegel, who allowed only four goals in three games.

Solomon Gomez scored once and added two assists against Dartmouth to take the lead in the Ivy scoring race with seven points. Gomez has scored in every Ivy game and also leads the league with four goals. The only other Ivy player to score in every match is Penn's Tom Lieberman, who has scored for the Quakers in every game this year. Either Lieber-man's scoring streak or Meyers' shutout string will be ended on Saturday.

Ivy Standings

Harvard 3 0 0

Penn 3 0 0

Brown 2 1 0

Columbia 1 1 1

Cornell 1 1 1

Yale 0 1 2

Princeton 0 3 0

Dartmouth 0 3 0