The Mail NO FACULTY VOTE YET

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Resolution proposed by the members of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology puts those of us concerned with ending the war in Vietnam in a dilemma. We are aware of the fragmentation of the peace movement, and of the resolutions, slogans, tactics tried out in our desperation. Some strategies may be futile but harmless. But others may backfire. A call for immediate withdrawal will seem cavalier to some and callous to many; it is not a call for a cease-fire. Already the President is taking account of violent feeling among many civilians and some senior and junior officers that the fighting men are being betrayed.

The October 15 Moratorium offers Faculty and students a chance to assess the weight of this feeling, to counter it, and to devise strategies that will not provoke it further-provoke it in other words to the point where renewed bombing of the North and unconditional surrender might become politically attractvie. The idea of the Moratorium admirably recognizes that there are no short-cuts to the work of organizing and education in areas beyond our own enclaves. No faculty vote should be taken on the Resolution at least until we can assimilate the experience of the Moratorium.