Football Team Falls to Fired-Up Terriers

Comeback in Second Half Earns B. U. 13-10 Victory

By Bennett H. Beach and Martin R. Garay

Harvard was able to get through the Holy Cross game successfully with a sluggish offense, but that same lackluster offensive play was not good enough Saturday, and the Crimson lost its first game since November, 1967, to Boston University. 13-10.

"They outplayed us in every phase of the game," coach John Yoviesin said afterwards. "We were soundly beaten."

It was an even contest in the first half, and Harvard may even have had the better of it. leaving the field at halftime with a 10-7 lead. But the afternoon was all downhill for Harvard fans after the dance revue by the B. U. cheerleaders and the Harvard Band prop crew.

Comeback

Boston University came back onto the field with a new quarterback and a new determination to do what it knew how to do and to do it well. The Terriers controled the ball for 43 of the 68 plays in the second half and picked up 206 yards in the half while the Crimson had to settle for 27.

One of the Crimson's main intentions was to score first over the fired-up Terriers. After three exchanges of the ball, a B. U. punt gave Harvard a good chance to get some points as the Crimson started a series of downs at midfield.

But almost immedately, a pitchout by quarterback Frank Champi fell to the ground and was recovered by a B. U. lineman. The Terriers had earned a reputation in their first two games as a team that capitalized on mistakes by the opposition, and Saturday they started a scoring drive on this Harvard miscue.

The top B. U. running back. Bob Calascibetta, carried on five of the next seven plays, generally finding enough running room and adding some good second efforts. He gained 41 yards on those carries and romped through a big hole off left guard for the game's first touchdown.

Shortlived

The advantage was shortlived, however, as Harvard marched without undue strain from its 37 yard line for the game-tying touchdown. Champi effectively alternated carries by Gus Crim. Ray Hornblower, and John Ballantyne, and the line provided some good blocking as Harvard methodically drove downfield. B. U.'s defense stiffened inside the 10, hut not enough, and the score was tied.

Neither team was able to sustain a series of plays until with about six minutes left in the first half, Gary Farneti recovered a fumble at the Harvard 32-yard line on a fake punt by B. U. This time, the Crimson capitalized on an error.

Two personal fouls by the aggressive Terriers contributed more than anything else to the ensuing drive, and while Champi's nose bled on the sideline. Dave Smith guided Harvard to within five yards of a second touchdown, one which the Crimson would have been glad to have later.

Harvard Dies

But Harvard died near the goal line and a pass by Smith sailed over Hornblower in the end zone, so Richie Szaro came in to kick a five-yard field goal.

The Crimson managed only one first down in the third quarter while Terrier quarterback Pete Yetten mixed his plays nicely and did some effective passing to control the ball.

Holes were being opened up by the big B. U. line, and the few Terrier receivers were getting open on short patterns. But the Crimson stopped the third quarter drives when it had to and no damage was done though the psychological balance may have shifted in B. U.'s favor.

Early in the final quarter, however, the Terriers started from midfield and continually ripped through the right side of the Harvard defense for 45 yards on the 50-yard drive to the end zone.

Main Strength

B. U. rushed play after play, relying on its main strength, and when the Crimson stopped two successive plays for one-yard gains inside the five-yard line. Yetten threw a pass to halfback Gary Capehart, who had gotten behind the surprised Rick Frishie and Fred Martucci. The missed conversion gave Harvard a chance which it was not able to take advantage of.

There was time left for a Crimson score and Harvard had three more sets of downs. But the B. U. line and secondary rose to the occasion, and Harvard's chances ended when Rick Versocki and his linemates smothered Champi far behind the line of serimmage on fourth