Moratorium Resolution

A resolution supporting the October 15 Moratorium-but not making support binding on individual Faculty members-will be presented at Tuesday's Faculfy meeting by Everett I. Mendelsohn, associate professor of the History of Science.

The resolution reads:

Whereas students and faculty in many parts of the nation, including Harvard, are planning on October 15 to observe a "moratorium on business as usual" and leave their classes and devote their energies to public efforts to bring an immediate end to the war in Vietnam;

Resolved that this Faculty affirms its support of the October 15 day of protest against the war in Vietnam (while not committing any individual member) and reaffirms the right of its members to suspend classes on that day.

Mendelsohn said yesterday that support was not made binding because he felt that it would hurt the effect of the resolution "to inflict it upon those who oppose it."

"I think support will be fairly substantial." he said, citing "the large majority at the last Faculty meeting in favor of calling a special meeting for this purpose."

Mendeisohn added that there have been rumors of efforts by some Faculty members to have the resolution tabled or taken out of discussion by parliamentary means. "I will resist any effort that will not allow discussion by the Faculty," he said.