Yardling Booters Bomb Tufts, 7-1, Aim at Terriers

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard's Yardling soccer team spent little time celebrating last Friday's 7-1 victory over Tufts, for the Crimson freshmen have their hands full this week preparing for a tough Boston University team.

"We've done a lot of work in the last three weeks and the boys put out a nice team effort against Tufts." coach Dana Getchell said. "But this weekend is an entirely different story."

Last spring. B.U. soccer coach Roy Sigler announced that the Terriers had recruited the finest freshman team the school has ever had. Sigler went so far as to say that three members of the team were potential All-Americans.

Getchell has that article posted in the Yardlings' locker room and is not letting the squad forget that prediction. "B. U. will be out to get us this year, and we'll have to play exceptionally well to beat them," Getchell said.

Mens Sana in Corpore Sano

The Yardling coaches have a problem common to all freshman squads at Harvard- trying to convince freshmen that they can carry a college course load and play varsity sports at the same time.

Only 20 players were present for yesterday's intrasquad scrimmage. And at the end of practice, Getchell had to listen to five players announce that they had an afternoon lab or seminar today.

But Coach Getchell feels his job entails much more responsibility than just coaching. "I think seports ought to offer the boys an opportunity to get away from the grind of Harvard Square." he said. "Here the players get a chance to leave their books and get to know the other people on the team."

For this reason. Getchell does not pick a starting line-up this early in a season. "All the positions are wide open because I don't want to discourage anyone from continuing," he said.

Getchell singled out two players as out standing prospects for next year's varsity. Fullback Rick Scott, he said, is outstanding at general soccer skills, while Emmanuel Ekama has "the potential to be a great halfback."

Last Friday's game against Tufts indicated the strength of the Yardlings' front line. The Crimson fell behind, 1-0, with only four minutes gone in the game, but Bob Auritt tied the score at 14:38 of the first period.

The second quarter featured a one-man show by freshman Chris Papagianis. He put Harvard into the lead in the second minute of play, added a second goal seven minutes later, and scored his third less than a minute after that.