Petty Theft Puts Mann Into Jail

By Jeff Magalif

Eric M. Mann, a Boston leader of Revolutionary Youth Movement (RYM) SDS who is being sought by Cambridge police for his alleged participation in last month's disruption of the Center for International Affairs, was arrested in Montpelier, Vt., at noon yesterday for petty larceny.

Mann and Jull H. Wattenburg of Urbana, Ill., were sent to the Washington County Jail after they were discovered stealing merchandise from two stores in Montpelier's Vermont Shopping Center. They spent last night at the jail.

Captain Thomas F. Burke, Jr., chief detective of the Cambridge police, said last night that he will begin rendition proceedings today to bring Mann back to Cambridge to stand trial for the CFIA incident. He said that he hopes to have Mann in custoday "by the first part of next week."

Burke added that it is "likely" that Miss Wattenburg also was involved in the CFIA disruption, but then corrected himself to say that this is only "a possibility."

The Ubiquitous John Doe

Mann is the only person for whom a specific warrant has been issued in connection with the disruption; he is wanted on three charges of assault and battery and on three other counts. John or Jane Doe warrants for unidentified persons have been issued for six other people.

The Cambridge police-working with the FBI, the Massachusetts state police, the Boston police, and the Harvard police-are keeping under surveillance a number of "key houses" in the Boston area, Sergeant James Roscoe, a Cambridge de-tective working on the case, said yesterday.

The Third District Court issued nine warrants for the arrest of three persons-including five warrants for Mann-on September 30, five days after the disruption. The Court issued nine additional warrants last Friday for seven persons, including the three already being sought. Mann is the only person identified in a warrant by name.

All warrants are based on identifications made by CFIA professors and employees from photographs they were shown at the Cambridge Police Department. The pictures had been taken at various recent demonstrations in the Boston area, including last April's occupation of University Hall.

Harvard personnel have identified some of the CFIA invaders as Harvard students, Dean Ford said last night. None of the students are among the seven being sought by the Cambridge police, however, Ford said. The nine-man Committee on Rights and Responsibilities-which will investigate complaints against Harvard students in the CFIA incident-has not yet received any complaints and will not begin its investigation until it does a committee member said last night.