Cliffies to Invade Harvard Gyms: Co-ed Body-Building Begins Today

"Oh, rowing is always more fun when a boy and girl can build their bodies together," an unidentified Radcliffe sophomore exclaimed after hearing Harvard's plans to open its athletic facilities to Cliffies today.

Responding to a national trend toward co-ed sports, Harvard will open the doors of Hemenway Gym. Briggs Cage, and Weld Boat House to Cliffie jocks for the first time in history today.

Mary G. Paget. Coordinator of Activities for Radcliffe's Office of Sports. Dance, and Recreation announced the change last week, citing the success of the co-ed volleyball team and similar programs at other Ivy League schools as evidence of the demand for co-ed athletics.

Beginning today Henmenway squash courts will be open to Radcliffe students and Harvard guests from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Beginning Tuesday, classes in squash will be offered to the girls from 9 to 11 a.m., Monday through Thursday.

Co-ed swimming will be offered at the Indoor Athletic Building from 8 to 10:30 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday. Track facilities at Brigg's Cage will be open to Cliffies who have pre-registered at Radcliffe Gym. Girls may also use rowing facilities at Wed Boat House after they have registered and passed a swim test for sailing.

Later this month Watson Rink will offer, girls' figure-skating classes and free co-ed skating periods.