Local Moratorium Is Observed; More Activity Scheduled Today

Today the Cambridge community will observe the moratorium by canvassing, leafleting, and repairing buildings.

Harvard's Vietnam Moratorium Committee is organizing the major activities, which include passing out leaflets of "Bring Them Home," circulating petitions against the war, and cleaning up buildings.

The Student Mobilization Committee (SMC) has chartered buses to transport over 3000 Massachusetts protestors to Washington this weekends. Five buses left last night and over 50 are scheduled to leave continuously tonight until all ticket holders have been accommodated.

Yesterday, over 200 Moratorium volunteers went to Memorial Hall, where the Moratorium Committee and SMC assigned canvassing districts and supplied leaflets.

"We assumed many people would be heading for Washington," said Jeff Rosen '70, a member of the Moratorium Committee, "so we picked concentrated areas for canvassing."

Moratorium volunteers canvassed Dorchester. East Boston, and Charlestown. Leafletting was done around Cambridge by both the Moratorium Committee and SMC. In some districts canvassers also circulated petitions asking for a prompt end to the war.

Today, efforts will be extended to harder work. The Moratorium Committee will send people to Roxbury to paint the Elma Lewis School of Fine Arts and to the South End to clean up walls and hallways of buildings there.

Special services for peace are scheduled today in Memorial Church at noon, in St. Paul's Church at 9 p.m. and in Copley Square after a 5:30 p.m. march by the Boston and Cambridge medical community.

Some Haryard professors have cancelled classes in observance of the moratorium, but there is no indication that support here will be as strong as that during the October 15 moratorium.

No local activities are planned for Saturday.