Ivy Title at Stake Booters Will Try Today to Finish Brown's Six-Year Ivy Soccer Reign

By Robert W. Gerlach

The Brown band develops halftime shows and cheers to suit cornerkicks rather than touchdowns. The Brown Daily Herald cannot lose to the CRIMSON, 23-2, this morning, for all its reporters will be in the stands of AldrichDexter Field when the Bruins and Harvard clash for the Ivy League soccer title.

For six years Brown's booters have dominated the Ivy opposition and claimed the League title. Even more humiliating, the Bruins have humbled Harvard in both Providence and Cambridge for six consecutive seasons.

The plot development is different this year, but the ending may not be so surprising. Brown, 7-2-2 overall and 3-1-1 in the Ivy, is second in the League and within striking distance of the lead.

Brown is an excellent soccer team that, for the sake of an unprecedepted seventh consecutive Ivy crown, wants to spoil Harvard's chances for its first outright Ivy title in eight years. But there is more to the Brown story.

Soccer's the Sport

The Bruins fall sports program is an American dilemma. Brown's football team has traditionally been the doormat of the Ivy League and usually just prays for the final game of the season against Columbia. To compensate for the afternoon funeral. Bruin fans have made Saturday morning soccer victories a ritual.

Brown's emphasis on soccer has obviously produced results. Last year the Bruins went all the way to the N C A A semifinals before being eliminated by eventual champion Michigan State, 2-0. At the start of this season, Brown was ranked fifth in the nation.

At individual positions. Brown offers outstanding talent. Sparkplug of the forward line is co-captain Herman Ssebazza, a native of Uganda. A wing. Ssebazza was selected to the All-American team last year.

The opposition has concentrated on Ssebazza this season, and as a result the fine passer and ball-handler has helped two of his terminates to become the highest scorers in the Ivy League, George King has tallied four times in five games, while Brookes Morin has assisted on five goals.

But Yale may have contributed more to today's match than any of the individual Brown players. The Elis upset Penn last Saturday. 2-1, and now offer a serious challenge to Harvard next weekend. The Bruins are within two games of the league crown with two games left to play.

No Sissies

"The Bruins play a very strong very aggressive type of soccer." coach Bruce Munro reflected. Brown coach Cliff Stevenson is stoking that strong desire with visions of the Ivy crown.

Asked to compare Brown's game strategy with that of any other Crimson opponent this year. Munro saw an analogy with Princeton.

Princeton's strong, aggressive defense benefited greatly last Saturday from the poor playing conditions on Cumnock Field. Brown will exploit the same advantage. Aldrich-Dexter Field has a hard clay base and is situated at the bottom of a large hill, so this week's rain should provide a soggy field that hinders the Crimson's speed and favors Brown's strength. As if they needed the advantage.

Harvard has been fortunate this season with respect to injuries. The Crimson came through the Princeton game without any wounds, and it will need a healthy squad to withstand the aggressive Bruin style. Bill Meyers complained of a sore arm early in the week, but when asked whether his goalie would start. Munro exclaimed. "I should hope so!"

Earlier in the season Munro said, "I wish we were the underdog in every game we played." Coach Stevenson is playing that advantage to the hilt at Brown, so much in fact that Munro's wish may be fulfilled.