Harvard, Union Are Negotiating On Maintenance Helpers' Issue

By William R. Galeota

While SDS marches through the Yard, the "painter's helpers" issue is actually being decided elsewhere-in quiet negotiations between the University and the union which represents its Buildings-and-Grounds workers.

For some months, Harvard and the union have been trying to work out more definite procedures for the training and promotion of Harvard's maintenance workers. Yesterday, both sides said some progress had been made in the negotiations, and that the contract which will replace the one expiring in December may contain new provisions on these issue.

NEWS ANALYSIS

The negotiations do not merely cover the so-called "painters' helpers." No such category exists under the contract; the "painters' helpers" are hired under the category of "helpers." which also includes workers in other crafts. The negotiations concern all "helpers" and their advancement to "mechanics," the category for journeymen in painting and other crafts.

The helpers issue has been simmering ever since the Metropolitan Boston and Vicinity Crafts Maintenance Council (AFL-CIO) became the bargaining agent for Harvard's maintenance workers in 1967. Donn Berry, secretary-treasurer of the union, said yesterday that he approached Harvard several times about the issues from 1967 on, and that, six months ago, the University agreed to begin talks on the problem.

Harvard on the Move

Since then, Berry said, "the University, in my opinion, is really moving. They seem to have a mental commitment to solve this problem." Berry and Harvard officials agree that two specific problems exist:

What kind of training are "helpers" given while on the job? Currently, they are supposed to receive training informally from journeymen, but it appears that in some cases such training has not always been forthcoming.

How are "helpers" promoted? Atpresent. a foreman classifies a worker as "helper" or "mechanic" on the basis of a subjective evaluation of the man's work.

Although neither side is willing to reveal all the details of specific proposals, they seem to be moving toward an agreement to establish a formal training program for helpers, perhaps one including not only job-skill training, but also any reading, math, or other basic skill training needed by workers.

Such an agreement would also. it seems likely, include more definite criteria for promotion and additional redress for a worker who feels he has been unfairly passed over for promotion by his foreman. At present, he can institute a grievance procedure through the union, but some workers seem reluctant to do so.

While the training and promotion problems are perhaps most severe with black "helpers." they also concern whites. "All of our men-black or white-want to know, What does it take to move up?" Berry said. He added that the question was especially crucial for blacks. "since they are trying to find themselves, trying to establish their identity"

Berry feels that the current agitation over painters' helpers has not affected the negotiations, "I've got no great feeling one way or the other." he said. "SDS isn't helping or hurting."