Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Protest Groups Steal Orchestra Manpower

Fewer students are playing in the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra (HRO) this semester "partially because people would rather march for social causes than play in an orchestra," according to James D Yannatos, conductor of HRO.

Yaunatos said, "There are a great many pressures on the student for his time: one-the explication of the Vietnam war." This year HRO has lost five members to the November Action Committee.

Small Turn-out

Only 50 students auditioned this fall, 15 people less than last year, and the total membership has dropped from 77 last year to 60. More disconcerting than the small turn-out of musicians for HRO was the "very great fall-out immediately before and after the first concert," said Marion Severynse '71, HRO secretary. Many of these musicians were pulled into this fall's new performance seminars.

Other music groups, besides the seminars, are competing with HRO this year-the newly revived wind ensembles, theBach Society, and individual chamber music groups that meet in the dorms. "Between all these, it's difficult to find people who are willing to give HRO time," explained Charles C. Hefling Jr. '71, HRO vice-president.

Although the orchestra does have specific shortages-only one string bass, and four violas where they need nine-HRO plans to give three concerts this fall.