3 Coed Housing Proposals Will Come Before Faculty

At its next meeting on December 9, the Faculty will consider proposals for three co-ed living exchanges next semester. Jerome Kagan. professor of Developmental Psychology, will propose the three exchange plans-between Winthrop and North Houses, Lowell and East Houses, and Adams and South Houses.

If the Faculty approves the proposals, they will go on to President Pusey for his endorsement. The backers of the proposal say they are confident that both the Faculty and Pusey will approve the exchanges.

Each exchange will involve about 100 students half Cliffies and half Harvard students. Although the three plans differ slightly, they all involve moving women into the Houses by suites, and men into the Radcliffe dormitories by floors.

Take Bells

Each student's original House will retain academic and disciplinary jurisdiction over its students.

The transferred students will, however, have to obey the rules of the Houses they are living in. They will have the same interhouse privileges and responsibilities (such as taking bells) as the other resilents.

Dunster Dropped

Students in Dunster House wanted to set up an exchange with East House along with Lowell, but dropped the idea earlier this week.

"People wanted the proposal to the Faculty to be as simple and direct as possible," said Robert A. Ferguson. Allston Burr Senior Tutor in Duster House. He added that a double exchange in one Radcliffe House might become too complicated for trial exchanges.

The proposals going before the Faculty have all been approved by the Kagan Committee-a Faculty subcommittee on coeducational housing, Set up to study long-range coed housing after the merger. the committee will probably present a full report in February.

The Kagan Committee-formerly made up of ten Faculty members-has just accepted five student members. Four of the students, who will have full voting powers on the committee. were appointed by different student organizations. The fifth-a freshman representative-was elected.

The student members are: Dale Partoll '73 of RUS. Joseph J. Thaler '70 of HUC. James S. Usdan '71 of HUC. Richard D. Brasington '73 of the freshman class, and Rachel Z. Ritvo '72 of HRPC. -D.B.J.