Varsity Seeks Second Win Against Freshmen Cagers

Since Bob Harrison took over as varsity basketball coach last year, he's been changing the direction of Harvard's basketball program. Besides the most energetic recruiting system in Crimson history, ??? purchased a record player for his team.

"Music relaxes the boys, especially before game time," Harrison explained. "It makes them loose and seems to pep them up. They like it requested it, and so we're doing it for them. And the spirit on the team has been just fantastic during the last few weeks," he said.

With two weeks of spirited practices-with music-since the last varsity-freshman scrimmage Nov. 7, the varsity will meet the Yardlings again at 8 p.m. Sunday in the IAB. This scrimmage will be the last one before the regular season begins for both teams at St. John's University on Dec. 4.

The varsity won that game, 98-85, with a fine team performance. "We showed that we are capable of winning games last time. The freshmen have a good team, and we outshot and outrebounded them," Harrison said.

"We don't look at Sunday's scrimmage as a grudge match or something like that," he said. "Instead, that game will be our last chance before the season starts to find out where we stand as a team," he added.

The varsity has been working on some new plays for its offense, and may use a press against the freshmen for part of the game to find out how effective it is under game conditions. "We want to check on how our helping defense is going to work against them." said Harrison.

While the varsity looks on the game as preparation for upcoming contests, the freshmen look on it a little differently. "It would be a real feather in our cap to handle the varsity," said freshman coach Ken Klug.

The freshmen, whose lack of teamwork contributed to their defeat Nov. 7, are looking forward to their scrimmage with a lot more confidence in their ability to play as a team.