Pusey Appoints Fouraker As the New B-School Dean

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

President Pusey has appointed Lawrence E. Fouraker, professor of Business Administration, as dean of the Business School effective Jan. 1, 1970.

Fouraker, a relatively young dean at 46, has been a member of the Business School faculty for the past eight years and will succeed 66-year-old George P. Baker '25, who became dean in 1962 and will leave office in January.

At present, Fouraker is in charge of allocating research funds at the Business School for faculty projects. He also teaches in the Advanced Management Program for high-level business executives.

Because he has not taught in the MBA Program-the Business School's main teaching program-since 1966, Fouraker is relatively unknown to most of the 1500 current MBA candidates.

But Fouraker said. "I certainly don't feel alienated from the MBA students. I have talked to a number of MBA's and will continue to do so. I've sought advice from a number of MBA's. If I had any sense of alienation from MBA's . I never would have taken this job.

Among faculty members, Fouraker is highly respected and not controversial. But his views are nevertheless unknown. One faculty member said, "Fouraker is a big question mark for me, and I guess for everyone else as well."

Fouraker said his biggest problem as team will be trying to "keep a school that has been so successful and effective and efficient at that same level of effectiveness and efficiency."

He favors making minority group students 10 per cent of each class-a move which took place under Baker's administration. Fouraker said he "will undertake ?enthusiastically" the job of "raising money to enable the approximately 75 men and women a year to come into that program."

He added that he also favors the increase in admissions" of the disadvantaged majority women."

Fouraker refused to state his personal position on the ROTC issue and would not comment on the Faculty's Vietnam acte in October. He did say, however, that "if the people in the College have the view that Business School students are maximizing technicians, they are still looking at a stereotype that never was."

He said he hopes that Business School graduates will attain competence "with an increasing social purpose."

Regarding the Business School's riot plan which was established last Februry. Fouraker said, "I suppose that any university today would have some notion of what to do if the normal procedures are not followed. My feeling is that student's counsel should be sought throughout the process of forming disciplinary procedures and it has been here."

Fouraker characterized the Business school community as. "essentially a vigorous optimistic group of students and faculty" from whom he expects a broad base of support.

Baker, the retiring dean, will go on sabbatical from January until August 31, 1970, when he will officially retire from the Business School faculty. During his stay at the Business School he never took a sabbatical. He said yesterday that "this is very happy all around."