Farneti, Hornblower All-Ivy Hurley, Reynolds Receive Awards At Post-Season Football Banquet

By Bennett H. Beach

Seniors Neil Hurley and Jim Reynolds have been named as the recipients of the two post-season football awards, the William Paine LaCroix Trophy and the Frederick Greeley Crocker Award.

Hurley, who switched this fall from cornerback to safety in order to give the secondary better balance, was chosen the winner by his teammates. The award recognizes initiative, perseverance, courage, and selflessness, attributes of Ted Crocker, who was killed in World War II.

"Neil was a good, consistent performer who always gave us a good game." coach John Yovicsin said. "He hit hard, and he teckled well." This fall Hurley was third in team tackling statistics.

He led the Crimson in pass interceptions with four, including one in the Cornell game which he ran back 102 yards, and he returned 13 punts for a total of 71 yards. Hurley succeeds Ric Zimmerman and Vic Gatto as winners of the Crocker Award.

Reynolds has been a backup halfback this season, but his performance against Yale Saturday almost enabled the Crimson to tie the Bulldogs.

He returned the kickoff at the beginning of the second half 47 yards before Bob McKeown caught him from behind to prevent a possible touchdown. He also made three pass receptions.

"Jim is a fine athlete who did a lot of things well, but didn't have the speed to make it big at the varsity level." said Yovicsin. "He was nevertheless, a great asset to the squad-both as a young man and as a player." Reynolds was also the holder for Richie Szaro's place kicks.

A Committee composed of coaches and friends of Bill LaCroix, who died from injuries suffered while serving on the carrier Bunker Hill, chose Reynolds. The award is given for enthusiasm, sportsmanship, and loyalty.

The presentations were made Monday night at the annual football dinner at the Harvard Club of Boston.

Farneti, Hornblower Also Honored

Ray Hornblower and Gary Farneti, selected as next year's captain, were named to the Associated Press. All-Ivy team Monday. They were Harvard's only representatives on the first team, but seven others were honorable mention.

Hornblower, who started the season strongly but did not do as well late in the season, was named for the first time, though he was on the UPI second team last year. He was easily the Crimson's leading rusher with over 600 yards and ends his career as the third highest rusher in Harvard history.

Farneti, who is the third in a line of Harvard linebackers after Don Chiofaro and John Emery, teamed with Dale Neal this fall to give the Crimson outstanding strength at the line backing positions. Yovicsin has called him the best player on the 1969 squad.

The seven who are honorable mention are: Rick Berne, Pete Varney, Steve Harison, Rick Frishie, captain John Cramer, John Cassis, and Neal.

Though Cramer had to settle for honorable mention after Ernie Babcock of Dartmouth and Jim Gallagher of Yale made first team he was one of 11 college seniors cited Monday for scholastic achievement. The National Football Foundation and the Hall of Fame selected Cramer and Penn's George Joseph from the Ivy League.