Booters Hand Penn First Loss of Season

By Robert W. Gerlach

Solomon Gomez scored two unassisted goals and Harvard's fullback line continually disrupted the Penn offensive attack, as the varsity soccer team remained undefeated through eight games with a 3-1 victory over the Quakers at Franklin Field.

Harvard, ranked third in the nation, now stands alone at the top of the Ivy League standings with a perfect 4-0 record. Penn, previously undefeated and rated fourth in the country, and Brown trail the Crimson by a full game.

Most of the match was played in the Harvard half of the field, but the Crimson fullback trio of Bob Gray, Bill Brock, and Phil Axten kept the Quakers from a clear shot on goalie Bill Meyers.

Dangerous Challenges

The concentration of action in Harvard's defensive zone actually benefited the Crimson offensive attack, for Gomez, right inside Phil Kydes, and left wing Charlie Thomas created several dangerous challenges by outracing the Penn defense to long clearing passes.

The match turned into a battle between Penn's short passing game and Harvard's individual talent. Although the Quakers thoroughly dominated midfield play, Harvard prevailed at both ends of the field. Gomez and Thomas in particular completely intimidated the Penn defense.

Penn controlled the game throughout the first quarter. Harvard's halfback line sagged deep into the Crimson penalty area, and the Quakers easily kept the ball in their offensive half of the field. But goalie Meyers and a stalwart defense maintained a scoreless tie.

Morale Boosters

Penn fans were out in full strength and the cheerleaders kept up a constant barrage of yelling to support the Quakers. But the entire complexion of the game changed with three Harvard goals in five minutes of the second period.

At 3:52, sophomore Thomas lofted a long corner kick in from the left wing. Quaker goalie Dan Biegel let the ball sail past the net and Kydes headed the ball home from the right side.

The Penn team was visibly shaken as it continued to control the ball but could never approach the Crimson goal. Harvard concentrated on clearing the ball to midfield and relied on the superior speed of its forward line. Pete Bogovich did a tremendous one-man job at midfield.

Sophomore Kydes broke loose in the second period on the right wing but was fouled from behind. On the ensuing free kick. Gomez rifled a line shot from 30 yards out that flew past Biegel into the upper left-hand corner.

Resignation

Gomez broke the game wide open two minutes later when, from midfield, he outraced Penn fullback Art Swanson for a long pass. With the Penn goalie charging out of the net. Gomez drilled the ball on the ground past Biegel. At only 9:13 of the second period. Harvard held a commanding lead, and Penn fans began to discuss football.

A psyched-up Penn squad charged out on the field after halftime and once more dominated play. At 3:13 of the third period. Penn's Bruno V? smashed a long free kick toward the Crimson net. Goalie Meyors spun and watched the ball hit the overhead crossbar and come down in to the net.

The Quakers cheerleader swung into action, but the soccer team did not. Center half Rich Hardy and sophomore Chris Wilmot stifled several Penn threats.

Meyer's shutout streak of six straight games is a Harvard record. Penn's third period goal was the first opposition tally since the Tufts game on September 24.