Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Peabody Unveils Rare African Art

The Peabody Museum will unveil a new exhibition Wednesday- "Masterpieces of Black African Art" -which features many internationally known African art objects.

"The collection will be of the highest quality that can be seen anywhere," said Lee A. Parsons, curator of collections in Peabody. Parsons, who designed and organized the exhibit, added that all the pieces on display "are outstanding examples of their type" and "a number of them could bring over $50,000 at public auctions."

The exhibition will present several categories of art: South African rock art. bronzes from the former Kingdom of Benin in Nigeria, brass and iron work, sculpture of West and Central Africa. ceremonial masks of Africa, and Poro society masks from Liberia.

At a special preview tonight. Eliot Elisofon, research associate in Primitive Art, will give a slide lecture on African art. The preview and exhibition commemorate the 100th anniversary of the death of George Peabody, the Museum's founder.