Wellesley Girls Allowed to Have Liquor in Rooms

Prohibition has ended at Wellesley. Wellesley College's student-faculty Senate voted Tuesday night to allow students to serve liquor in their rooms.

Students will still be subject to the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that prohibit those under 21 from possessing or consuming liquor, however.

Mrs. Suzanne Gordon, director of Information Services at Wellesley said, "This means, for practical purposes, students and guests are permitted booze for entertaining."

Only 12 members of the Senate were present Tuesday, but almost 100 students attended the open meeting. Eleven members approved the legislation, and one abstained.

Armchair Indeed

"The atmosphere of the Senate indteated the regulations on liquor seemed to be a little archaice. Indeed this is my opinion," said Pixie Loomis, President of College Government.

In celebration. the Wellesley band marched around the campus Tuesday night for three hours. Stone Hall, a Wellesley dorm, is planning a champagne party for faculty and students when the ban is lifted in two weeks.

The Senate has recently passed another proposal-girls are allowed to stay out all night any time they wish. Next week the Senate will consider 24-hour parietals.

WCTU

Some students disagree. Robin Edgel. a Wellesley senior, is starting a petition for a referendum concerning the liquor issue.

"It's not that I'm necessarily opposed to liquor on campus." she said, "but perhaps some sort of restrictions on campus, with considerations for the rights of everyone. have not been considered."

Another student commented. "I think most are happy about the decision. It's sort of legalizing things going on anyway. Being Wellesley girls we like to be honest."