Three Football Players Named All-Ivy; Munro Not Pleased With Soccer Picks

Three Harvard football players and two soccer players have been named to the coaches' All-Ivy League teams.

Linebacker Gary Farneti and defensive halfback Rich Frisbie were chosen to the first defensive unit; and punter Gary Singleterry was the football coaches' choice for the second year in a row.

Junior goalie Bill Meyers and forward Solomon Gomez were surprisingly the only first-team selections from the second-ranked soccer team in the country. The two-man representation was unusually small for an Ivy League championship team.

Varsity soccer coach Bruce Munro said he was not pleased with the choices. "Everybody I've talked to thought we should have had more first-team selections. This was probably the best soccer team Harvard's ever had." he said.

"I wasn't very surprised at the results, however, because Harvard has never had many players on the Ivy team." Munro continued. "I definitely thought Dick Hardy should have made the first team, if only because he was a senior."

Munro went on to predict that the Crimson would place few players on the All-America team, if any at all.

Second Team Picks

Senior halfback Ray Hornblower was the only Harvard gridder named to the All-Ivy second team, but offensive guard John Cassis, defensive end Chris Doyle and placekicker Richie Szaro received honorable mentions.

In addition. Cassis, Farne??. Frisbie. and Hornblower won honorable mentions on the Associated Press's All-East team.

Second team All-Ivy soccer players from Harvard were defensive back Dick Harly, and forwards Phil Kydes and Charlie Thomas. Hardy was edged out by one vote for the first team by Brown sophomore Charles Young.

Forward Peter Bogovich and back Bill Brock won honorable mentions.