Fencers Defeat Eager Beavers With Strong Surge in Final Round

By Martin R. Garay

The Harvard and M. I. T. varsity fencing teams competed evenly for the first two rounds last night, but the Crimson came to life in the third round and thrashed the Beavers, 17-10, before a crowd of 20 in the IAB.

The Crimson started out well, winning all three of its opening saber bouts. Larry Cetrulo, the number-one saber, jumped out quickly, and, before 45 seconds had elapsed, defeated his first Beaver, 5-4, "It wasn't the best in fencing as far as style is concerned," coach Edo Marion said, "but it certainly was powerful."

Intimidation

Sophomore Rick Tolbert, fencing behind Cetrulo, dominated his bout with a more reserved style. Taller than his opponent, Tolhert charged forward and intimidated him, getting touches in the process. His Beaver fell, 5-2. Pat Pugliese, the number-three saber, also won an easy 5-2 victory.

The Beavers came back in the foil to tie the Crimson. Captain Cliff Ruderman was soundly defeated, 5-1. Bill Castle and Art Weissman, playing number-two and number-three foils respectively, both lost by a 5-3 score.

Short Thrusts

With cool precision, John Reitz pulled the Crimson ahead in the first bout of the epee. His opponent could not withstand his short thrusts, and Reitz had a 5-1 victory. The Beavers came back to tie the match once again in the next bout, as Micky Irvings was hit quickly and could not recover. He eventually lost, 5-2.

Paul Viita, playing as the number-three epee, won his first match of the season, snatching a close 5-4 victory.

In the second round. Cetrulo gave his opponent even less time than he had given the first Beaver. They were finished in 30 seconds, and Cetrulo had another 5-1 victory. The Beavers, however, came back to win the next two saber matches and tie the score as Tolbert and Pugliese both lost, 5-4.

Haughty Opponent

The Crimson at this point became a litle worried. The Beavers were really cheering-their foilers were going to win three, again. Ruderman dampened their spirits when he dumped his haughty opponent, 5-3. Weissman surprised coach Marion and killed the Beaver spirit with his 5-3 victory. Castle lost, but Harvard had come out the victor in the foil.

"M. I. T. had been leaking stories that they had their best foilers in years. The Crimson foil team was psyched out in the first round, but after they saw M. I. T., they knew they could come out and beat them, and they did." Marion said happily.

Pulling Away

The epee team won two of its three bouts in the second round, and the Crimson began pulling away.

Reitz's composure carried another match, 5-4. Micky Irvings won by a similar score over his Beaver. However, Viita could not figure out his opponent, failing even to make a touch, and was blanked, 5-0.

In the final round, the hapless Beavers lost seven of nine bouts. Their fans stopped cheering wildly and began thinking about next year. Cetrulo's opponent received some coaching from his teammates before the bout, but it was to no avail. He faced Cetrulo, and a few seconds later was seen on the bench trying to figure out how he had lost, 5-0. Tolbert and Scott Beckett both won by two touches.

Penetration

The foilers penetrated the Beavers' defense once more. This time they won all three bouts. Ruderman and Castle both had 5-0 victories. Weissman let his Beaver touch him twice as he won, 5-2.

In the final round of the epee, the Crimson lost two. Richard Bargar, a replacement for Reitz, was the only winner, as Irvings and Viita's replacement Eliot Horwitz both lost.