Impure Boston Grass Fools Local Smokers

The success of Operation Intercept, President Nixon's project to shut off the flow of Mexican marijuana into this country, and a poor Mexican harvest have caused such a shortage of grass in the Boston area that local pushers have resorted to blending it with a number of look-alike substitutes.

Lt. William Gross, head of the State Police Drug Division, said that chemical tests run by the State Food and Drug Laboratory and the State Police Drug Division have revealed varying amounts of catnip, oregano, shredded parsley, tea, tobacco, and household seasoners mixed with the marijuana picked up in recent weeks.

One common additive is a white salt-like substance. When it is noticed by a buyer, the drug-pusher will identify the substitute as some hard drug like cocaine which has been added to give the grass more potency.

Gross also confirmed reports that LSD was being sold as mescaline, TAC, and other mild hallucinatory drugs. "Since LSD is so inexpensive and easy to make, local pushers are marketing it under the name of drugs that produce less potent effects than LSD," he said.