Moratorium Schedules Peace Fast

Rebate From Fasting To Aid Viet Refugees

In response to a four-meal "peace fast" proposed by the Harvard Moratorium Committee for December 12 and 13, University officials have issued an unprecedented offer for rebates on meals not eaten in the University dining halls.

Under the agreement with the Committee on Houses, the Harvard Under graduate Council, acting for the fasting students, will forward the rebate to the American Friends Service Committee. The funds will support the Quaker group's current relief programs for Vietnamese civilians, including children's refugee centers and hospital facilities for amputees.

Moratorium officials, in a pamphlet distributed yesterday which announced the action, called the fast and rebate "the gift of life itself to the victims of Nixon's pride."

Not Political

Dean May said the action was "not a political stand on the part of the University nor an act of identification with the Moratorium."

But John Hanify '71 president of HUC, said, "This may be a year of unprecedented action." He called Dean May "amazingly responsive" on the issue. and said the dean's only concern was "the practicality and financial arrangement of it-whether a large enough body of students would be involved."

Everett L. Mendelsohn, professor of the History of Science, explained the novel decision as "the Administration's final realization that a major part of this community does not support the war." "It's student money and they should be able to redesignate the way they feel it should be used." he added.

Faculty May Fast

Mendelsohn, who has played a key role in Faculty anti-war discussion, is expected to join in a statement Monday of possible Faculty co-ordinated action with the students.

"Right now we don't know how many will join the fast." said Richard Zorza '72, Harvard coordinator for the Moratorium. He added, however, that over 500 students at Yale had already pledged themselves to the three-day fast there.

Pledge sheets now being circulated by HMC in the House dining halls and the Union will form the basis for the rebatetally. The University has asked that these petitions be in by 2 p.m. Monday, December 8. in order to adjust its advance food orders.

Negotiations with the Radcliffe Administration, however, have not yet been concluded, Zorza said.

Next week's "peace fast" is the focus of December Moratorium activities, the third in a series of what HMC calls monthly "escalating protests" against the war.