Stauder Gets Soc Rel Ok For 1970-'71

Soc Rel Department Sends Nomination To Corporation

By Samuel Z

The tenured members of the Social Relations department voted yesterday with only one opposed to recommend Jack R. Stauder 61 for a one-year appointment as lecturer, to run from July, 1970 through June, 1971.

Stauden an instructor in Social Anthropology, was the highest ranking Corporation appointee arrested last April in University Hall.

Last September, after summer hearings and deliberation, the Corporation decided to suspend Stauder for the current semester, cut his pending two-year appointment to one-year ending in June, 1970, and deny him a $1200 pay raise.

Original Recommendation

If the Corporation approves yesterday's Soc Rel recommendation, Stauder will regain the appointment for 1970-71 which the Soc Rel department originally recommended him for before last April's disruption.

The Corporation, in its September statement on Stauder's punishment, left open the possibility of rehiring Stauder.

The semester suspension, according to the Corporation, would "afford a period during which Dr. Stauder will have an opportunity to demonstrate by his conduct that he is prepared to accept the responsibilities which go with an appointment as an officer of instruction in this University."

In light of a nearly unanimous recommendation yesterday by the Soc Rel department, one key Faculty member suggested that the Corporation will in fact approve the recommendation at the beginning of the second semester, after Stauder's period of suspension has ended.

Speaking on behalf of many tenured members of the Soc Rel department, Irven DeVore, chairman of the SocialAnthropology wing, told the CRIMSON last night that "the nomination is based both on an assessment of Stander's academic progress and performance of academic duties, and on the department's strong feeling that they wish to continue offering courses on Africa.

"While this nomination is in line with the department's original recommendation a year ago, that Stauder be promoted to lecturer for the remainder of his three-year term. it is also based on the teaching requirements of the department for the coming year," DeVore added.