Undefeated Stickmen Face Indians Tonight

By John L. Powers

"Last year's team did not. of course, meet the goal of a 500 season, although they should have," wrote Dick Soule in the Daily Dartmouth two weeks ago. "The team was 7-14-2, but most of the players feel that there were four games which they definitely should have won when they didn't."

One of those games, evidently, was the Harvard contest at Cambridge. Leading 3-0 after only 23 minutes of play. Dartmouth collapsed badly. yielding four third-period goals before losing 6-3. It was a damaging psychological blow to a Green squad that had for two periods, thought it was finally going somewhere.

Tonight, the two teams meet again at Watson ?ink. With victories over both Norwich and Middlebury, the Indians are beginning to believe in themselves again. and unless Harvard rebounds from its horrid performance against Northeastern two nights ago. Dartmouth might capture the win that it feels is a year overdue.

Green Superior

The Green, even without the services of forwards Dave Hill. Dave Kirkland and Dave Hutton, should be superior to Northeastern in raw talent, and emotionally, it will at least be as well prepared. But as was the case Thursday evening. Harvard will have to lose the game. Dartmouth will probably not be able to win it.

When the Crimson takes the Indians seriously, it usually routs them, and it can usually take them seriously only once a year. Harvard bombed Dartmouth 11-2 at Hanover last winter, and when it met the Green in the return match, the Crimson apparently felt that it had only to skate onto the ice to win.

The same attitude could hurt Harvard tonight. but there is little chance that it will take the Indians lightly. A careless defensive game Thursday night and a discouraging lack of polish in the Northeastern end of the rink showed the Crimson that it can lose to a squad that is far inferior in ability if it neglects to take it seriously. And Harvard will be careful to keep it from happening again.

Dartmouth's first line of Chico Davidson Jeff Kosak and Steve Arndt is fairly potent, but is newly formed, and at its best, should not compare with either of Harvard's first two lines, unless the Crimson performs as poorly as it did Thursday night.

A second line of Mike Turner. Tom Coffman and Kent Nyberg could be nearly equal to the first, but behind it, Dartmouth can offer little in terms of either talent or experience.

Don Anderson and Mike Barle, an untested unit. will play at first defense, with veterans Denis O'Neil and Vince Orchard as a second tandem. Sophomore Dale Dunning. who played effectively in the nets for both Green triumphs. will start in the goal.