Harvard Smashes Orange Stickmen

By Stephen F. Kelley

Dan DeMichele tallied twice and Chip Otness, Chris Gurry and George McManama each contributed goals as the Harvard icemen beat Princeton, 5-2, Saturday night at Watson rink.

The Crimson, winning its fifth straight game, brought its season record to 12-4-1. In Ivy play, Harvard has only lost to Cornell, a team that it will meet again at home later this month.

Princeton jumped to an early lead in the first period, when senior John Kubacki slipped in a rebound past sophomore goalie Bruce Durno. Harvard retaliated ten minutes later when DeMichele slapped in a hard shot from the point. Princeton regained its lead at 17:37 when Kubacki scored his second goal on a centering pass which found Durno way out of position after making a save. Harvard closed the scoring in the period when George McManama, moved to center for the game, netted a shot from 15 feet which the Princeton goalie never saw.

Harvard broke the game wide open in the second period as Gurry scored what proved to be the winning goal at 5:55, while DeMichele and Otness cushioned the lead, closing the period at 5-2. The final period was generally controlled by the Crimson, but failure to collect on scoring opportunities and great play by Princeton Goalie Edward Tilghman made it scoreless.

The game proved to be little more than warm-up for tonight's Beanpot final against B.U. at Boston Garden. Terry Flamen, playing his first game after sitting out the first semester, should bolster the Crimson defense, as evidenced by his aggressive play. Flamen replaced George McManama on the defensive line with Chris Gurry, McManama moving up to center of the second line. Gurry, who was hurt during the second period of the Princeton game, is a question mark for tonight's game.

B.U., coming off a strong victory over B.C. last Monday in the opening round of the Beanpot, has split a pair with Harvard, winning 2-1 in January after losing 8-4 early in the season. All-American Herb Wakabayashy centers the first line, which was the highest scoring in the nation two years ago, with Eddie Wright and Serge Boiley. At defense, protecting Goalie Jim McCann, who was last year's Beanpot MVP, are veterans Darrell Abbott and Mickey Gray. Both B.U. coach Jack Kelley and Harvard coach Cooney Weilund feel that tonight's game is even. B.U. has won the final the last four years in a row, and 14,000 fans at the garden will be watching Harvard try to end the skein.

WHRB, 93.5 on your FM dial, will be broadcasting tonight's game live from Boston Garden. Mark Kelley and George Vary will have warm-up at 9:10, followed by face-off at 9:15.