From Lynn to Quincy Here Come the Sludge

Harvard, Radcliffe, and the entire Northeast peered out from under two feet of snow, slowly turning to slush yesterday, as the worst non-blizzard in twenty years moved out to sea.

Frustration

All major airports, both stock exchanges, and most major highways were shutdown for most of the day. A helicopter food airlift was the only link between 6,000 stranded passengers at Kennedy Airport and civilization.

In Massachusetts, clearing efforts were frustrated by the wind, stalled automobiles, broken snowplows, and, in Framingham and Swampscott, picketing Public Works employees demanding double time for Sunday work and better medical benefits.

At Harvard, the men of Buildings and Grounds worked all day Sunday, all night Sunday, and all day Monday. By yesterday evening, plowing operations had ceased and most of the men had gone home.

A Non-Blizzard

Sunday's storm does not qualify as a blizzard because the temperature never went below 20 degrees.

"It's a little bit bigger than what we're used to, but it's pretty-well under control," said Maurice Rice, relief foreman for Building and Grounds. The relief foreman's job is to take over on the foreman's day off. The foreman was off Sunday and Monday this week, Rice said.

Screwed Up

"I think it's great," said one damp Cliffie yesterday, "that with all our technological advances you can still get screwed up by the snow."

"This was the worst since '32," said Mrs. Dorothy M. Bowley, manager of the Howard Johnson's restaurant at the south end of the Maine Turnpike.