Skiers End Fourth In Hanover Meet

After barely surviving the first day of competition, Harvard's ski team jumped into fourth place during the final day of the 59th annual Dartmouth Winter Carnival.

Defending National Champion Denver edged host Dartmouth for top honors by sweeping four of the first five places in the ski jump, the last event. Entering the jumping competition, Dartmouth held a 4.8 point lead over the Westerners. Middlebury trailed in third place in the team totals in a field of eight.

Sophomore star Alan Watson bolstered the Crimson comeback by finishing second in the giant slalom. Watson needed a spectacular time on his second run to move into the runnerup spot behind Middlebury's Paul Reed. Crimson competitors Jay O'Rear, Larry Carter, and Captain Peter Carter added enough points to push Harvard into second place in that event.

Harvard landed a disastrous sixth after the first day of competition. Steve Hinkle sprinted home seventh in cross-country and Peter Carter finished ninth in the slalom. But they were the only two Crimson skiers to place among the leaders.