Swimmers to Test Top Tiger Team In Meet Tonight

By Bennett H. Beach

The varsity swimming team will compete in its most crucial meet since the start of the season when it visits perennially-strong Princeton tonight.

The Tigers, third in the Eastern League, were undefeated until they were upset by Dartmouth, 581/2-541/2, last week at Hanover. Princeton now boasts a 7-1 record overall, 3-1 in the league; Harvard is 2-1 in the Eastern circuit.

The best-known Tiger swimmer is Ross Wales, who competed in the butterfly in the Olympics, earning third place. Wales' time of 1:58.5 is the third best collegiate performance in the nation this season.

Slim Chances

Harvard's chances of beating Wales in the fly have been further dampened by a leg injury to Johnnie Munk, the Crimson's number one man in this event. Munk will probably swim despite feeling pain in his leg when the kicks, with captain Martie Chalfie likely to be Harvard's other entrant. Unfortunately, the Tigers also have Sammy Sakamoto in the fly, and a Princeton sweep is probable.

The freestyles at 200, 500, and 1000 yards are probably the most crucial events. Dave Powlison, Toby Gerhart, and Steve Krause are Harvard's best freestylers; their chief competitors from Princeton will be Greg Garretson, Phil Bostian, and Chris Cade. Krause has yet to lose this season, and coach Bill Brooks feels his performance in tonight's meet could determine just how good he is.

Munk, Krause, and Mike Cahalan have been cited in the February issue of Swimming World for outstanding times in their events.

Krause, who earned mention in three separate events, is ranked eighth nationally in the 1000-yard free, while Cahalan's 27.3 in the 50-yard free and Munk's 2:02.6 in the fly were listed.