Corporation Members Keep Silent on ROTC

The Corporation still has made no public announcement of what it plans to do with ROTC at Harvard, and ROTC leaders here and in Washington, D.C., said yesterday that they have heard nothing official from the Corporation yet.

The Corporation met on Monday and discussed the Faculty's two-week-old resolution asking that a academic credit be withdrawn from all ROTC courses here. None of the Corporation's members has yet revealed whether it approved the Faculty resolution at Monday's meeting and in Washington, the director of the national Army ROTC program said last night that he still had not heard what the Corporation has decided.

Early yesterday afternoon, Brig. Gen. C. P. Hannum, national Army ROTC director, said that he was "waiting with interest" to hear of the decision. Hannum said that the reason he had not been told yet was the "the individual who would do the notifying [Dean Glimp] has been so busy with other things that he probably has not had time to call." Hannum said that he expected a call from Glimp sometime in the afternoon, but last night he said that he still had not heard from Glimp.

At Harvard, representatives of three ROTC units said that they too knew nothing about the Corporation decision.

Hannum said that even if the Corporation approved the Faculty credit-withdrawal resolution, "it might still be possible to work out a mutually acceptable compromise" for keeping an Army ROTC unit at Harvard.