Crimson, Tigers Face Off Tonight

By Mark H. Odonoghue

After two difficult games, Harvard's hockey team should have a respite tonight when it travels to Princeton, N.J., to face a lowly Tiger team at 8 p.m. in Baker Rink.

The Crimson has been gaining momentum steadily for its confrontation with powerful Cornell next Wednesday. It defeated three mediocre teams in the week after the end of exams and then won two impressive victories over highly-ranked teams in the last week.

Neither of its opponents this week--Princeton and Yale--figures to be a threat to Harvard's seven-game winning streak, but one could interrupt its improvement by turning the contests into slip-shod affairs.

In the first game against Princeton, Harvard played raggedly but defeated the Tigers, 6-2. Since then, however, it has jelled into a more consistent unit, partly because of Terry Flaman's return. His addition strengthened the defense by contributing much-needed muscle and by allowing Chris Gurry more freedom for bodychecking and offensive rushes.

It also allowed George McManama who had been playing out of position at defense, to move back to line.

The line of McManama at center and Bobby Bauer and Ron Mark on the wings accounted for 4 goals in the Crimson's 7-1 victor over the University of New Hampshire Saturday and should take pressure off the sophomore line, which has carried Harvard's scoring attack for most of the season.

Bruce Durno is another reason why the Crimson has been so successful. The stocky little goal tender has not made a high number of saves, but he has been remarkable in making almost impossible stops. In the UNH game, for example, he stopped a two-man break singlehanded and then teamed with Flaman to stop a three-on-one break Cornell's Ken Dryden is admittedly the best in the East, but Durno is by no means outclassed.

The Tigers should not be any trouble for Harvard tonight. Last in the Ivies, they have less talent than any Princeton team within memory, and have compiled a 4-5 record.

Captain Bill Ramsay is a standout defenseman and Jerry Kearney is a quick forward, but the rest of the defense is slow and the offense is a one-shot affair.

Goalie Middie Tilghman has been good at times--in Princeton's 6-2 loss to Cornell and their 6-2 loss to Harvard--but he cannot overcome the Tiger's fundamental failings.

The Crimson should have little trouble in notching another win over the hapless Tigers and its scorers may even fatten their point totals unless the unbelievable happens.