School Posts May Not Go To Teachers

Committee to Retain Control of Top Jobs

By Thomas P. Southwick

Before a highly partisan audience of 500 people the Cambridge School Committee defeated yesterday a motion to restrict major administrative positions in the school system to Cambridge teachers.

The committee also voted to accept the recommendation of school Superintendent Edward Conley that Richard S. Phelphs of Pittsfield be appointed to the new post of Director of Language Arts. Conley had made the recommendation last week but it was tabled upon the request of committee-man Daniel J. Clinton. Clinton also introduced the motion last week that the rules of the School Committee be changed to read, "Examination for promotion and appointment to 'Major positions' shall be open to members of the faculty of the Cambridge Public Schools only."

Clinton Defends Change

Clinton said that his two actions were not related and defended his rule-change proposal on the grounds that the teachers of the school system should be rewarded. Over twenty people spoke before the committee in opposition to the Clinton proposals.

Mahoney Hits Patronage

Mrs. Thomas H. Mahoney, a member of the Cambridge PTA, said that "In 1952 we experienced what has become famous as family night. On that night the School Committee met in executive session and appointed eight people to positions in the school system without interviewing any of them. Three of those appointees were relatives of committee members. Since then, 'family night' has become synonymous with patronage politics in Cambridge. We are here tonight because we fear another family night."