Students Will Have Seats On Bio Studies Committee

Faculty members of the Biology department's Committee on Undergraduate Students and Studies last night asked a general meeting of Biology concentrators to select three students to serve on the committee.

The committee, which is advisory to the Biology department's Faculty, will consider significant course and concentration requirement changes. "This is a unique opportunity for students to take positive action in determining their own curriculum," Abraham S. Flexer, assistant professor of Biology, said.

The department authorized the committee last Spring to invite one or more students to participate in its deliberations. It has not yet been decided whether the students on the committee will have voting power.

Winslow R. Briggs '51, committee chairman, last night suggested possible changes in curriculum, including the elimination of enrollment limitations in lower level courses and greater diversity in required choruses. "The committee will probably submit a list of considered recommendations to the department's Faculty no later than mid-March," Briggs said.

Robert P. Levine, chairman of the department, said that there may be important changes concerning undergraduates next term, though some concentration changes may take up to three years to implement.

"I've yet to see the department unmoved by an astutely conceived proposal," Levine said. "Recent student interest in the department might further act to convince some really first-class people to teach courses for undergraduates," he added.

Petition Started Things

Earlier this term, over half of the 230 Biology concentrators signed a petition protesting the dearth of Biology courses and subsequently convinced the department to allow upper level courses to satisfy lower level requirements on a temporary basis.

Biology concentrators will meet again next Wednesday to elect representatives to the department committee and to examine the results of a questionnaire circulated among them.