Dartmouth and Middlebury Defeat Harvard in E.I.S.A. Ski Contest

Harvard failed to break the perennial Dartmouth-Middlebury monopoly of Eastern skiing, but finished a strong third in the E.I.S.A. Championships at Middlebury this past weekend.

Dartmouth's Indians won their fourth straight E.I.S.A. title and claimed their third carnival victory of the season as the Indians overcame Middlebury's two-point lead with an overwhelming victory in the ski jump.

The results qualified Dartmouth, Middlebury and Harvard for competition in the NCAA Championships to be held next month at Steamboat Springs, Colo.

Sophomore Alan Watson placed fifth in the Giant Slalom and fourth in the Slalom for Harvard's best individual performance. Jay O'Rear, Larry Carter and captain Peter Carter were the only other Crimson competitors to finish among the top ten in either Alpine event.

An outstanding cross-country effort by Steve Hinkle, who finished fifth, could not prevent Harvard from slipping into seventh place in that event.

Harvard landed a distant second behind Dartmouth in the Ski jump as Chris Ferner and Jim Platz climbed into the top ten.