Bio Department Chooses Students For Curriculum Studies Committee

By Mark W. Oberle

Three biology students were selected last night as representatives to the Biology Department's Committee on Undergraduate Students and Studies.

Katherine W. Lloyd '70, Stacey Scott '70, and Lee R. Snyder '70 were chosen at a meeting of biology concentrators to join the five Faculty members of the advisory committee in overhauling concentration requirements.

Winslow R. Briggs '51, professor of Biology and committee chairman, said that he hoped to refer specific proposals to the Biology Faculty.

Among the proposals the student-Faculty committee will consider are:

* Converting the present optional, non-credit tutorial to a voluntary, pass-fail half course running throughout the year;

* Ending limited enrollment for all lower level biology courses;

* Reducing the number of lower level courses required of biology concentrators from 4 to 3. The department has granted every petition to substitute upper level courses, Briggs said, but many concentrators, unaware of this informal policy, have been forced to take courses in which they have little interest.

Few Courses

Many biology students have also complained that their department offers too few courses in behavior, ecology, and organismic biology.

Robert P. Levine, chairman of the department, said yesterday that a set of recommendations "has a very good chance of being accepted by the department this semester."

Future student committee members will be elected by the biology concentrators each February. At last night's meeting, a motion to guarantee one committee seat for Cliffies initially met some opposition. "Radcliffe doesn't exist. We're all Harvard Men now," one Cliffie said. Another girl stopped smoking her corn-cobpipe long enough to nod her agreement but the motion carried anyway.