Lowell Forum to Discuss Fainsod Group's Members

Lowell House students and faculty will meet Monday night to discuss student representation on the Fainsod Committee, the Faculty's committee on decision-making in the University.

The forum will take place the night before the Faculty discusses an HRPC proposal asking that students be seated as regular members of the Fainsod Committee. "Lowell House plans such a forum before each Faculty meeting," Robert F. Wasserstrom '70, one of the organizers of the forum, said yesterday.

"We want to initiate regular and informal channel of communication between Faculty and students," Joel W. Cantrick '69, another of the forum's planners, said, "By keeping students continually aware of important issues, we think that students will be less passive towards Administration and Faculty decisions," he said.

Planner's Newsletter

The forum's planners have distributed a newsletter expressing various viewpoints about student representation on the committee to the members of Lowell House.

Andrew M. Gleason, profesor of Mathematics and a member of the Fainsod Commitee, and Kenneth M. Kaufman '69, former about the committee. The forum will then consider aspects of student-faculty and student-administration relations.

After last December's Paine incident Lowell House held a similar forum for students and faculty to discuss ROTC. "A lack of communication is partially responsible for the Paine Hall sit-in," Wasserstrom said.

Other Houses

"We'd like to encourage other Houses to hold student-Faculty meetings on their own," Wasserstrom said. "Students rarely have the chance to talk to Faculty members in small groups," he added.

"If students and faculty discus decision making enough, they'll find that they have a great deal more in common with each other than with the Corporation," Jeffrey C. Alexander '69, another organizer of the forum, said yesterday.