Benka and Nosal Post New Marks In GBC Weights

By Richard T. Howe

Dick Benka and Ed Nosal led a beefy Harvard weight crew with record-breaking victories in the opening two events of the Greater Boston Collegiate Track Championships last night.

The Crimson opened up a fourteen-point lead over Northeastern in the two-day meet which continues in Harvard's "bubble" at 1:30 p.m. this afternoon.

Benka locked horns with Northeastern's Andy Kenney in the feature event of last night's program, the shot put. Kenney broke the five-year-old meet record with a distance of 58'4" on his second toss and held first place until the final round. In dramatic fashion the Crimson captain lofted the sphere 59'7" for a last-ditch victory and a new record. Charlie Ajootian and Bruce Hedendal collected additional points with third and fourth places respectively.

Nosal pulled a surprise in the 35-pound weight with an upset victory over Ajootian and Northeastern's Don Cybulski. The burly sophomore uncorked a heave of 62'2" to break the meet record of Ed Bailey '62 by nearly two feet. Ajootian copped runner-up laurels with Cybulski edging Harvard's Doug Griswold for third.

39-20 Lead

In the freshman meet, Harvard jumped to a 39-20 lead over Northeastern with five events completed. Jake Driscoll opened the scoring with an impressive double victory in the weight events.

Dave Cass set a GBC freshman record in the high jump, clearing 6'3" for the victory. John Howland and Tom Raskin added points in the pole vault, and Steve Thomas teamed with Jack Shylling for places in the two jumps.