Pucksters, Racquetmen, Hoopsters Bettle Hapless Eli Squads Today

SPORTS '72

Shooting for a victory that would give it the best record in its history, the Harvard freshman hockey team goes into its final game of the season against Yale at 2;30 p.m. in New Haven.

The icemen's record presently stands at 18-2, tying the present mark. A victory will boost their overall slate to 19-2 for a new record.

In last year's thriller, the Yardlings upset a previously-undefeated Eli team, 5-4, on a stunning unassisted goal by Harvard's varsity standout Joe Cavanagh.

Although this year's Yale team is not expected to be as troublesome, there is concern in one respect. Harvard's last defeat was two weeks ago when the Yardlings lost to Andover, 7-5. In a surprising upset, Yale dropped Andover, 7-6, in overtime the following week.

The yardlings are relying on high-scoring centers Bob Havern and Leif Rosenberger to help achieve their sixth victory in a row. In Wednesday's 9-0 win over Exeter, Havern led the team scoring with five points.

BASKETBALL

The redhot freshman basketball team will be defending a seven-game winning streak when it meets a determined Yale squad at 6 p.m. tonight at New Haven.

After losing their first two games to Springfield and B.C., the Yardlings have dominated their opponents, dropping only one of their last eleven games.

On the strength of the hoopsters' last two wins over B.U. and Northeastern, coach Ken Klug expresses little doubt that they will extend their streak by trouncing the Elis. Klug expects an excellent performance from the team's star, 5-9 guard Mat Bozek. Bozek has continued to dazzle his adversaries with his fine shooting and ballhandling ability. The success of the 6-6 Brian Newmark and the 6-5 Wayne Clapp in dominating the boards should give Harvard a big rebounding edge.

After Yale, the Yardlings should have no trouble overcoming the once-defeated Dartmouth. If the freshmen win these last two games, they will end this highly successful season with an impressive 12-3 record.

SQUASH

The freshman squash team romped over Deerfield, 7-0, yesterday for their ninth shutout victory of the season, and they are a safe bet to repeat the performance today against Yale at 2 p.m. at Hemenway.

Their closest brush with defeat came two weeks ago when a strong Andover squad took the only individual match victory they have surrendered. Andover succumbed, 6-1.

The freshmen have routinely dispatched teams, from Amherst, Exeter, Choate, and Princeton on their way to their current 10-0 record. Yale, which lost to Deerfield, 7-0, should pose no problem.

The only stirrings of excitement in yesterday's match came in the third and fourth matches, which both went to five games. Alan Quasha, at number three, won the fifth game easily, but number four man Rick Davereux had to stage a miracle rally, sweeping the final five points of his fifth game, to keep his record in blemished.