Tiger Cagers Finish First

Princeton won its seventh Ivy Basketball title in the past ten years and the Tigers' junior sharpshooter, Jeff Petrie, wrapped up the individual scoring honors, as league play came to a close last weekend.

In winning all of their 14 league contests, the Tigers became the first team to do so since the Ivy League grew to eight teams in 1954. The last undefeated quintet was Columbia's 1951 team, which turned in a 12-0 mark.

The battle for first went down to the final weekend of Ivy play. Princeton edged Columbia, 60-59, to wrap up the crown, and then the Lions upended Penn, 69-59, to earn the second spot.

Cornell, by upsetting Penn, earned the last remaining first division berth. Dartmouth finished fast, winning its last three games to pass Harvard and take over sixth place.

In the scoring race, Petrie, who was out in front virtually from the outset of the season, protected his edge in the final pair of games, adding 47 points to finish with 335 for a game average of 23.9. Defending champion Jim McMillian of Columbia, held to 26 points last week, managed to cop the runnerup position with 276 points and a 19.7 average.

Harvard's highest Ivy point producer, senior Chris Gallagher, was twelfth with a 14.4 points-per-game output and a 202 total. Sophomore Dale Dover was fourteenth (190; 13.6), and Mike Janczewski was sixteenth (170; 12.1).

Yale junior John Whiston led in rebounding with 161 in 14 games. Final Standings   W  L Princeton  14  0 Columbia  11  3 Pennsylvania  10  4 Cornell  7  7 Yale  6  8 Dartmouth  4  10 Harvard  3  11 Brown  1  13