East House Swimmers Take Title In Championship Contest at 'Cliffe

East House swimmers piled up an 18-point victory over South and North House teams, tied at 42 points, in the Radcliffe House Championship Swimming Meet and Relay Carnival yesterday.

East House won seven of the eleven events. Kathy Fletcher '71, who did not swim competitively until last year, was the only double winner in individual events, earning firsts in the freestyle and individual medley. Julie P. Anderson '71 and Eleanor T. Hobbs '69 were the other individual winners for East House.

The East House medley relay team set a pool mark in a time of 45.4 seconds. The previous record was 46.0. Another record established during the meet came in the breaststroke relay as the North House team was 0.6 seconds under the previous standard of 55.9.

East House got off to a good start by taking the first two events. South House came back to win the next two, and North House got its initial first in the fifth event. Then East swept the next three races. Miss Hobbs clinched the championship when she took first in the 40-yard backstroke, the next-to-last event.

The closest race came in the butterfly relay. East and South turned in equal times of 47.0 seconds, but East House anchorman Miss Anderson touched out South House's final swimmer.

The meet is an annual event geared especially for non-team members. Only three of the eleven events were regulation meet events. Members of the water safety instructor class helped run the meet as part of their course work.